Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer Showcase

So, to keep myself busy I found a number of projects over the summer. Now that they are all unpacked I figured I would show them to you.

When we learned how much apartments cost here in Denver we figured we would probably have to downsize and decided to ditch our large, corner desk. Over the summer I found this lovely gem for $5.00 at a garage sale. After a lot of sanding and some stain I think it turned out pretty nice. My super-handy dad helped us convert the top drawer into a keyboard tray and it fits just perfectly into our little loft.

My father-in-law made us this beautiful blanket box for Christmas. He gave it to us unfinished and I procrastinated doing anything about it until I had some space to work in. My parents garage turned out to be the perfect spot and after a lot of sanding I think it turned out gorgeous. It is now one of my favorite pieces of furniture, thanks John. (I am planning to make a cushion to turn it into a seat, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.)

For me, graduate school meant two more years with my garage sale couches. So, in an effort to spruce them up a bit I decided to sew some new pillows for them. Ta-da!!

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

I LOVE the desk and blanket chest. And I'm way impressed that you did it all. I'm ok to paint things, but sanding AND staining! you're amazing! well done!

Jacqui said...

Oh and there are lots of bike trailers on craigslist...

Ann said...

Sounds like your experience in CO is alot like ours here in MI. Lots of beer! It was a shocker at first but now we're over I think. Still weird how their tailgate parties are at 9am and they are already plastered from the night before. You're yard sale findings look great! We just went out shopping around yard sales this morning, didn't find anything. We actually have 2 more years here so we are trying to make it more like home to survive them!

Whitney said...

Good job! I like the color you chose for the stain!

Anna said...

I am very impressed, everything looks so nice. How are you enjoying Golden so far? Sounds like you are keeping busy.

Stephanie Shumway said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! You've inspired me to go get something ugly from goodwill this weekend and make a project out of it. :o) Not that any of these things were ugly before.... ug I can't talk- got my foot stuck in my mouff..... ha. good job! (BTW, I love the stain. It reminds me of the color I used on my Mother in Law's old-timey singer sewing machine)