Thursday, January 6, 2011

Adventures in Sunbeams

I have been counting down to the day that we would switch to 9:00 a.m. church for quite some time now. I thought it would be the end of all my Sunday drama. Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that a new year also meant a new class and new teachers for Oliver as he would be leaving behind the nursery forever. When I explained to him what would be happening he insisted that he was not grown up yet, he was still little and as such belonged in the nursery. So, I went and sat with him on the front row of Primary to see if I could convince him to stay. (This was quite a switch for us because he was usually running down the hall to nursery before the closing prayer was over in Sacrament meeting). He wasn't doing too well with the switch until his new teachers showed up, it was a husband and wife team and she happens to be drop-dead gorgeous. Once he got a look at her he leaned over to me and whispered that "the mommy teacher is really cool". He immediately dismissed me to go to my own class. The last thing I caught was her husband smiling and Ollie and Oliver giving him the evil eye.

I thought that his teacher's good looks had solved our problem, but no such luck. After we put him to bed Sunday night he came back out of his room to inform us that he didn't need any new teachers because he already knew everything that his teachers told him. My attempts at teaching him some humility fell on deaf ears so we finally convinced him that he needed to go to class to help the other kids who didn't know as much as him.

Once again I thought the problem was solved, but apparently he was still perturbed and decided to take the matter to a higher source. The next day at dinner Ollie was saying the prayer, and I quote "thank you for my new teachers, but I don't need any teachers because I already know everything that they told me." It was one of those "Amens" in which much discipline is required to keep a straight face.

2 comments:

Mireille said...

They're changing our ward boundaries this Sunday, so I'll be so angry if I'm stuck with 1 0'clock church again. Oliver is hilarious! I love that he's so knowledgeable in the gospel at such a tender age. He's obviously much smarter than the hottest teacher out there.

The Grant Family said...

lol....so funny! I believe I know exactly which "hot" teacher you're talking about. My son Ryan was in their class last year. I saw them once outside of church and pointed and said "Look Ryan, there's your teachers!" To which he replied "That's not a teacher, that's a Jepson!" To this day I think of that everytime I see them. They're not teachers, they're JEPSONS!!!