Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Ruby Pile





One of Oliver's favorite games is to make a Ruby pile. Basically this consists of him laying on top of Ruby and then making Sam and I lay on top of him until we make one great big Peay family pile. Ruby is pretty accommodating seeing as she absolutely adores her brother and really has no choice in the matter.

Aside from making "Ruby Piles" Oliver's other latest craze is dinosaurs. Ollie gets to watch one TV show every morning while I take a shower and a few months ago he switched allegiance from Sesame Street to a new PBS show called Dinosaur Train. Our entire existence pretty much revolves around Dinosaur Train now. For example, he spends all day calling out, "tickets, tickets please" after you give him a ticket he punches it on his claw, a.k.a. his toe, and tells you "thank you very much!" When ever we drive under an underpass he call out "Time Tunnel." Obviously you would have to actually watch the show to comprehend all of this, but I would recommend just taking my word for it.

He is learning quite a bit from the show as well. The other day he was eating my mom's houseplant and when I asked him what he was doing he explained that he was a herbivore so he had to eat plants and leaves. One morning when I asked him if he had any ideas about what we should do that day he told me that we just needed a hypothosis. At the look of confusion on my face he said, "you know mom, a hypothesis, it's an idea you can test." He hypothesized that the wind was blowing in a particular direction and we took a flag outside to test his idea. Last week he informed me that he had brachiosaurus feces in his diaper. (Hopefully one day soon he will learn to get that brachiosaurus feces into the toilet instead of his diaper!)

I would prefer that he stuck to Sesame Street so that he could pick up on his numbers and letters instead, but I'm sure one day it will be important for him to understand the meaning of nocturnal as well!

1 comment:

kkoyle said...

Oh, don't you just love the intellectual level of toddlers! Sometimes it so easy to think they are smarter then they really are, that is of course until you remember they still go the bathroom in their pants! But seriously, Ollie is totally picking up some nice lingo and Reese loves Dinosaur train too, but I don't believe she quite as into it as Ollie. So cute.