Sunday, November 23, 2008

Brrrrrrr.....

So, I was reading a friends blog in which she was complaining about the freezing cold weather they were having. And, of course, I couldn't keep myself from commenting and rubbing in the fact that we had been enjoying a week of 70+ degree temperatures. Well, as almost always happens, I got my payback when I woke up the next day to a miniature ice storm. We didn't get any snow and I wouldn't describe it as a frost either. Rather, it looked as if someone had dumped a bucket of water over everything and then stuck it in a freezer. Instead of merely scraping of my windshield I had to use my scraper as a hammer to break up the ice. Needless to say, it was not very enjoyable. The cold weather has come to us at last.

On the bright side, that also means fun holidays, family gatherings and yummy food. So, to help me see the warmer side of things I thought I would make a little list of the things I love about this time of year (please note that scraping my windows is not included):

1. I love that my husband is more obsessed with Christmas music than I am. As soon as Sam wakes up and every time he walks in the door he heads straight to the computer to turn on FM100.

2. I love love love Christmas trees. Simple ones, fancy ones, barren ones, fluffy ones, you name it, love it!

3. I love that Christmas is the season for English Toffee and homemade caramel. I am pretty certain that both of those things will exist in abundance up in heaven.

4. I love that everyone is just a little bit kinder and a bit more thoughtful during the holiday season.

5. I love Christmas movies. No Christmas season is complete without "White Christmas", "A Muppets Christmas Carol", "Elf", "The Santa Clause", "Miracle on 34th Street", and "It's A Wonderful Life".

6. I love knowing that my in-laws will have a big bag of pistachio nuts in their kitchen and that Marie will let me sit at her bar and chat and munch on nuts to my hearts content.

7. I love to see the lights.

8. While I don't enjoy scraping my windows, I have to admit that I do love snow at Christmastime. What becomes old, cold and dirty in January always seems so perfectly new, fluffy, and beautiful in December.

9. I love Christmas shopping. The stores are always bustling with shoppers (stores may be busy at other times, but they only bustle at Christmas). And it is always so exciting to pick out what to give people.

10. Last but not least I love that there are so many excuses to get together with friends and family.

This isn't a complete list, and they do not appear in any specific order. They are just a few of the things that make window-scraping worth it!

6 comments:

AshEnds said...

I agree with you on most everything you wrote down. It is such a warm and loving time. I think we should move Thanksgiving so that we can celebrate Christmas for longer. Happy Holidays to you.

Lindsey said...

amen to it all! I particularly enjoyed reading about Sam's FM100 kick... I'm slightly addicted as well. :) And the Muppet's Christmas Carol. I think I watch that movie every day from Thanksgiving until Christmas... as well as several other days throughout the year. :D It sounds like you guys are doing Great! And I love to see the pictures of Oliver! He's not so little anymore... :)

maugers said...

Hi! Kyle just told me about your blog...I love to read blogs written by english majors. You are a great writer, and good list! Since I don't want to be seen as stalking...my blog is maugerfamily.blogspot.com and of course you guys can peruse at your pleasure :) Hope you have a good thanksgiving!

Ann said...

Hmm...could that have been my blog you read about the cold weather? The same one that may have brought on your "payback"!? HAHAHAHA!! So funny! I couldn't stop laughing. No, seriously. I'm sorry you had an ice storm. Those scare me. Hope it gets warmer for you! :)

A Note from Kaleo and Megan said...

I have been decorating the house and was thinking today about the great times we had last year. We miss having you guys around to decorate gingerbread houses and make your yummy soup (which I made for dinner tonight, btw). Glad to see your having fun in Colorado. Tell Ollie and Sam hi for us.

Jane Harward Music said...

Love your blog! I read the WHOLE thing just now. The last pic is a SHOCKER....how did you get my Hawaii vacation photo? How embarrassing.
See you tonight at Don and Caci's wedding!

Love, Jane