Sunday, November 16, 2008

Down the tracks


Yesterday was free day at the Colorado Railroad Museum and so we got together with our friends, the Steeds, and ventured into the world of massive locomotives. Seeing as our backyard borders the museum and we get to hear their train whistle at least once a day, we figured it was about time that we got better acquainted. True to form, Oliver was mostly interested in the rocks, but he has a Thomas the Train book and he got excited when he recognized Thomas on some of the model trains.

All-in-all the museum was pretty interesting and I can see how a train enthusiast could really get into it, but in the end I was glad we went on free day. From now on, I think we will just stick to waving to the trains from our window.




Other exciting events of the week included a trip to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I thought it would be a good place for Oliver to run around inside, and it was. He loved it. We'll probably have to schedule another trip because after two hours of "running around" we had only visited about half of it. Whew.

This week was also our stake's "Fabulous Friday" a.k.a. "Super Saturday" and I found myself venturing into the world of arts and crafts, a trail I don't often tread. While I probably picked the easiest craft available I have to say that I am still pretty proud of myself because I think that my little Family Home Evening chart turned out quite cute. It is so nice to have people with artistic ability share their talents with "creative duds" like myself. Since one of my callings is the Enrichment Committee I got to spend the whole day at the church setting up, cleaning up and mingling. Sam and Oliver spent the day together and it was a success all the way around.

Our good week ended on an even better note as Sam and I were able to go out on one of those rare things that we call dates. We make an effort to get out together quite often, but this time we had the luxury of going without Oliver. We have gotten together with some friends in the ward and now take turns watching each others kids on date night. So while Oliver ate chicken nuggets and chocolate chip cookies and watched 101 Dalmatians at the Koyle's house, Sam and I enjoyed a peaceful dinner and some uninteruppted adult conversation. Aaaah.

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

I love date night. I wish we were closer to trade babysitting with you too!

Danielle Rappleye said...

How fun! What a neat place to take pictures. I love those rare nights to just spend some good quality time with your hubby.

Anna said...

You guys are always doing something fun. I wish we had someone to trade date night with too, babysitters are expensive these days.

Stephanie Shumway said...

I love the KEEP OFF picture :o) What cool looking trains- Matthew would love that! Kuddos on getting a babysiting exchange set up. we have one for temple nights.. now we need to work on getting one for date nights!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

you are so good at taking pictures nell! I'm impressed! :)