Saturday, April 4, 2009

Faith & Fruit Loops


I remember General Conference weekend growing up my mom would always have tons of conference related activities to keep us in our seats and paying attention. The most popular of these was General Conference bingo, other activities included special journals and writing things we learned on pieces of construction paper, then stringing them onto fruit loop necklaces. No matter what, General Conference always included a big bag of fruit loops. Not only did the fruit loops make great necklaces and bingo markers, they were considered a special treat because it was the only time of year my mom ever bought cold cereal. We eventually outgrew mom's tactics and had to rely on our own devices to stay awake and listen. I am happy to report however, that while the bingo cards got tucked away into the dark recesses of one of mom's filing cabinets, the fruit loops remained a General Conference staple. And, for whatever reason, my mom continued to buy a huge bag of them every April and October. So it should come as no surprise that as Sam was leaving the house this morning to pick up some Ajax to srubb the shower, I also requested a big box of fruit loops. Conference just doesn't seem right to me now with out munching on a big bowl of sugary, artificially flavored, air-filled cereal.

Of course, Conference just had to begin with the talk that everyone loves to hate, the debt talk. I did my best to ignore Elder Hale, but he said too many true things. Sam and I are not big spenders (having no money really helps out with this). But he does have a good job this summer and in the back of my mind I have been dreaming about a new set of couches. The couches we presently sit on are ones I paid 35.00 for at a garage sale before we got married. They are pretty shabby and every couple of months I have to get out my scissors and cut of all of the new fraying strings. I have let them get really bad recently because in the back of my mind was the thought that they wouldn't be with us much longer. However, after Elder Hale's talk (and a few more bowls of fruit loops) I broke out my rag and needle and thread and did what I could to make the couches last a little while longer. Obviously it would be more prudent of us to work on our food storage and build our savings than to get new furniture. So, thanks Elder Hale for keeping us on track. And thanks to the fruit loops for making that pill a little sweeter to swallow.

5 comments:

The Busey Family said...

You know Janell...that talk hit us pretty hard too. Having absolutely not money for the next year is going to be hard, but for some odd reason that talk made it easier for us to try to get over it and try to move on. There are so many things that we really really need, but we will fix Ben's shoes and wait a little longer. Thanks for posting this. I hope things are okay for you guys and we will make it through together. It is hard, I know, but it will be okay. Just remember that Sam will get some money this summer. YEAH! Hang in there girl!

rhodesfamily said...

funny you should mention it...i called nick and begged him not to get me anything for my birthday this year! darn you, elder hale :) i want a bowl of fruit loops now.

The Busey Family said...

Oh you are such a sweetie. I probably have way bigger feet than you. I wear a 10. There are just a lot of things that we need, but we can go without for a while. Thanks for everything though. I will have to try the thrift store. That will be great. Who couldn't use a good deal? When are you guys leaving? And we didn't get any Medicaid. They told us that Ben has to work 20 hours being a full time student. So now that I have a side business...I can tell them that I work as many hours as I want to. That may help. Thanks for being a great friend.

Scott and Haley said...

Congrats on the baby, congrats and way to go on your Moab 1/2. You are the ideal pregnant lady. It is awesome that you are still so active. I wish I could be active again I am going on my 6th day past my due date. Maybe I should go running to get her here!

Scott and Haley said...

we went private and I didn't get your email so send me an email to granderplan@gmail.com and I will send you and invite.