Sunday, May 17, 2009

To lie or not to lie...

I know I have vented before about just how large I get when I am pregnant. I was hoping maybe it would be different this time around. It's not. The other day I had a dream/nightmare that I no longer had a neck because it had turned into a big, fatty double chin that hung half-way down my chest. I swear I have been feeling the fat under my chin increase ever since and it has been anything but pleasant.

Though I have now come to terms with the fact that I am just a big pregnant person, I still cannot reconcile myself to all of the double-takes that I get. It happens mostly in the check-out line at the grocery store. Someone next to me in line will start up conversation with me about my pregnancy. (Bulging bellies seem to be good conversations starters). Things usually progress congenially enough until I get asked about my due date. And then it comes, the inevitable double-take followed first by a look of surprise and then pity. I want to yell "Yes, I know I look nine and a half months pregnant but I am just now approaching the six month mark. I can see you adding it up on your fingers and you are right, I still have three months left. And, yes I will get a whole lot bigger!"

Of course, I never really say that. I just calmly walk away as they shake their heads. Several repeat performances of this same scenario this week have left me wondering whether or not I should just lie about my due date. I am seriously considering just saying "July" or maybe "the end of the summer" that doesn't sound as far away as September and it really isn't too much of a lie. What do you think?

(This is the most recent pregnant picture I could find, the camera angle really does make you think that my double chin nightmare really could become a possibility.)

11 comments:

Veronica and Ryan said...

You look like six months to me. I think people who are not in the middle of the whole having babies thing forget what it is really like. People acted the same way to me during both of my pregnancies. They have a distorted view that 9 months actually looks like 6 months. You are a beautiful girl.

Dynamic Chiropractic said...

I support the end of the summer line. They get so busy trying to get you to say a specific day, they forget what started the conversation in the first place. I think you look wonderful, if my husband were there he would tell you how beautiful he thinks pregnant woman are! You go hot mamma!

maugers said...

Yea, totally lie :) The "end of summer" one sounds good. Then you might get a lot of sympathy because the "end of summer" means HOT. I feel that a pregnant woman can do many things to put herself into a good mood for the good of the country...even lie :)

Mireille said...

I remember people starting conversations with, so how many hours till you give birth? and being the biggest pregnant chic in my birthing class. Just accept the biggness and the perks of getting to guiltlessly eat a lot since you're big anyway (which you do look 6 mos) I agree with Veronica, people are stupid. So my vote is not to lie, or if you do, move the date down to December.

Jacqui said...

Janell, you look cute. Poop on those nosys who think it's their business to ask/comment on your body. I think you should try and come up with the biggest lies you can to make the person feel as uncomfortable as possible. Something like, "no, I'm not pregnant. I'm just big boned." or "I just found out last week."

But I could be wrong. I'm in a fiesty mood, so I wouldn't tolerate people's rude comments:)

You look cute. Did I say that already?

Michael & Nikki said...

Janell, I think you look Fabulous!

Anna said...

Oh my goodness you look so cute! Don't even give those people a second thought, they are deranged. You don't look big at all. You can totally say the end of the summer though if it makes you feel better :)

The Busey Family said...

Sweetie...you are not big at all. Not kidding. Stop thinking that you are huge. You are not. I am glad that you are doing okay. You are so cute pregnant...I know what it is to be big though and there is nothing that helps. Hang in there!

A Note from Kaleo and Megan said...

Janell you are so silly! If it will make you feel better, I will send you a picture of myself at 5 months, in which I am totally bigger than you. Or, I could send you a picture of my little sister who is due in June to show you what 9 months really looks like (although she never got as big as I did). Granted, I was toxemic so you have no idea what huge really can look like. I think the nightmare is you worrying too much about it. But, if it makes you feel better, lie. Who's it going to hurt?

Ben said...

Peays! How are you? I found your blog link on my wife's blog, thought I'd take a look to see how you're doing....good luck with the pregnancy, job, and new place!

Ann said...

I feel the way you do now but I'm not prego. That's pretty sad. At least you have an excuse! Congrats on the move and the new chapter in your lives!