Sunday, June 28, 2009

Does that make me a bad person?


So, a couple of weeks ago the bishop called us into his office to extend us callings in the ward. First, he called Sam to be an assistant in Young Men's. Next, he turned to me and asked about my musical abilities. I promptly replied that I didn't play the piano or lead music or even enjoy singing and that my musical ability extended no further than turning on the radio. After which he asked me to serve as the ward music chairman and chorister. WHAT!??! Of course I accepted the calling, but with a rather shocked and dazed look on my face. I kept thinking about an experience Sam shared when he was serving in the bishopric of the student ward. They would reorganize the ward every semester as tons of students moved in and out. This made for long lists of callings to be extended and of course room for mistakes. One time things got mixed up and the bishop asked a girl who didn't even know how to play the piano to be the ward organist. Rather than balk at the calling (as I did inwardly) she got super excited and asked if that meant God was going to teach her to play the organ. Her comment cued the Bishop to the mistake and they got things straightened out, but I think her faith was commendable.

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of faith, or at least that kind of desire. I didn't want to learn how to lead the music and I especially didn't want to get up in front of the ward every Sunday in my current state of pregnancy. Yuck. I think that the Bishop must have sensed the vibes I was sending out all the way from my house because he called me in today, rescinded my calling and gave me a new one. (I hadn't been sustained yet). I would like to state here that I would have done the calling and probably learned to enjoy it, but do you think it makes me a bad person because I really didn't want it?

4 comments:

Anna said...

No it doesn't make you a bad person and oh how I wish my current calling had been rescinded. I have about the same level, maybe less, of musical ability and I am currently the primary chorister. What?!? I so wish I had sent out more vibes to the Bishop before I was sustained. I have yet to learn to love it, but maybe someday when I am not in my current prego state and miserable already.

Ben said...

You know, my bishop called me to be the priesthood pianist when I was 13 years old. I didn't have a clue how to play, and was freaked out of my mind, but I taught myself how to play and really enjoy playing the piano now and improvising my own stuff (when I actually have time). On a second thought, I still absolutely abhor having any calling whatsoever that requires me to play the piano. The End. (You can thank me later for the encouragement)

Veronica and Ryan said...

Ha ha! I don't think it is at all bad to not want a calling, but be warned, you will probably be called to it again someday.

Julie said...

I was called to be the primary chorister in our large ward in 1988 when I was 6 mo. pregnant with Danny and we just moved here. I am not musical, I was extremely scared and disappointed, but accepted.

Two days later, the bishop's counselor called and said, "oops, we got the wrong Sister Woolley." Another Woolley moved in the same week we did and he confused us. So instead I was called to be the nursery leader!

PS...you are not a bad person!