Friday, June 5, 2009

Good to the core.........and beyond


I consider myself to be an apple snob. I love apples but am totally picky as to which ones I will actually eat; they must be super crisp and tangy. I usually stick to Pink Lady, but I can stomach a Granny Smith if necessary. I think my son may have similar inclinations. We brought home a batch of good apples this week and he has totally devoured them. I give him a whole apple and a half-hour later he gives me back a tiny little stub of the core. (He ate three just like this yesterday). The seeds and half of the core have usually been eaten, he has not yet tried to digest a stem but I wouldn't put it past him as he has no qualms about swallowing the leaves on top of strawberries. I am pretty sure the only reason any of the core remains is because he can't figure out how to hold onto the apple and still find a spot to nibble.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

that's so cute.

Did your love of tart apples come from Venezuela where the tart one were on the only good ones that weren't mushy? Mine did.

I remember sitting with you in that home of the family who had a fruit stand (and the cousin? who was pregnant and live down that huge hill) and they gave us apples as a treat. They ate their apples down to nubs too.

Peay Family said...

There was nothing worse than apples in Venezuela. They were all mushy. My Venezuelan comps always wanted to buy apples because they were "exotic" but down there I say bring on the mangos!