Monday, June 8, 2009

A league of his own


I have always known that I had an extraordinarily active toddler. Having spent the majority of our time around other toddler girls, I simply assumed that the difference had to do with the fact that Oliver was a boy. Wrong. I had my eyes opened this past week as Oliver and I began swimming lessons. The class is made up of almost all boys, but Oliver is by far the most energetic. While the other boys cling to their moms in the water Oliver does his best to squirm/run/wiggle his way out of my arms. While the other boys gently practice blowing bubbles in the water Oliver is usually engaged in contorting his body so as to get the most force into his full-body splashes. (I feel bad for the moms who come with their hair already done because no one within ten feet of Oliver manages to escape the pool still dry.) When it is time to jump off the wall to mommy the other kids gently fall into their mother's outstretched arms. Oliver, on the other hand, does one of two things, he either turns and bolts toward the deep end or he yells and then jumps to the side in an effort to "escape" me. The most obvious difference however comes in the locker room. I have watched in amazement this past week as all the other little toddlers sit patiently while their mom's dry off and dress. I knew beforehand that would never be an option for me. I don't bother with the lotion or the drying off or brushing my hair. Instead I scramble as quickly as I can to pull some sweats over my dripping wet swimsuit. Just in the time it takes me to do that I usually have to pull Ollie out of the bathroom stalls at least twice and the garbage can once. There are days when I seriously consider investing in a child leash.

9 comments:

Ann said...

I think Jasmine might be following in Ollies foot steps. She is so wired all the time. Doesn't even allow herself time to take a nap. How do you do it?! You are one strong woman!

AshEnds said...

That's pretty much hillarious.

Mireille said...

I think the other moms might have their kids on sedatives. Because Evan and Brady are Oliver on Red Bull. At least they keep things interesting.

Dynamic Chiropractic said...

I am glad to know that I am not alone with a highly active boy. I don't walk with my kids anymore, we all run after Nathan!

A Note from Kaleo and Megan said...

That's so funny that you are considering a leash! A girl in our ward has one of those backpack/leash things for her little boy and he is always on it (especially in church)! I do feel for you although I can't "empathize". Kai has always been pretty chill and calm. We are experiencing the terrible twos. Good luck when those hit! I hear that the second child is usually the opposite of the first, so look forward to the little angel you will soon have. Miss you guys!

Seth and Emry Gubler said...

That is too funny! Miss ya!

Michael & Nikki said...

oh my gosh I love it!! What a character!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've got a yard/run to keep him in! Good luck :)

Anna said...

Your stories are too entertaining. I totally feel for you, Addie is pretty similar, but calming down. I'm totally impressed you are putting him in a swim class.