Sunday, October 4, 2009

Double Take

Seeing as I have now been a mom of two for three whole weeks I feel qualified to give my expert opinion on the raising of two children. Simply put, it is awesome!! I have been happily surprised at how smoothly we have made the transition from a family of three to a family of four (thus far:). Of course, we have had our rough spots. I have had the opportunity on more than one occasion to chase Oliver at a dead sprint through stores and parking lots while lugging along a car seat and baby. There have been a couple of days in which a shower was simply not an option and I did experience one horrific grocery shopping trip with a sobbing toddler and a screaming infant. I am proud to admit though that we are all still happy and still sane. I am constantly busy, but I love it - there is no down time and certainly no time for boredom.
Having two children has required some attitude adjustment on my part. I have found that I am much less tolerant of things that are messy as I have less time for cleaning. I am also much more lenient in regards to cooking and laundry. This morning Oliver asked for Doritos and Froot Loops for breakfast and I didn't even hesitate before giving it to him. (As you can tell from the picture, he is thoroughly enjoying his new dietetic freedoms).


I have also picked up some new baby-skills that I never acquired with my first child. I remember being so proud of myself for managing to cook entire meals with just one arm while toting Oliver around as a baby. Well, that skill is nothing compared to my new found ability to cook, clean and chase after a busy toddler while not just holding onto Ruby, but nursing her as well. Now, that is talent! (Sorry if that was more than you wanted to know, but my life pretty much consists of diapers, nursing and sporadic sessions of Ring-Around-The-Rosies, so that is what you get!)

6 comments:

Curtis and Andi said...

Wow! I was glad to hear you say all those positive things about being a mother of two. The twins are on the way and there's not much I can do about it. I'm just not sure I can develop the skills you have developed. At least one of my kids won't be running aroung while I'm trying to nurse.

Jacqui said...

First off, Ruby is a doll. She's so beautiful and what dark hair she has!

It sounds like you're coping well. I'm so glad. My transition from one to two wasn't hard either, so I'm a little nervous that adding a third is going to throw me completely off.

I love the fruitloops and doritos for breakfast idea. I think I'll try it:)

Anonymous said...

Super Janell! I think having a husband is hard enough...don't tell D. :)

Jon and Diana said...

You said it so well. Life as a mom of two sure does change things, and times do get tough, but I love when a big brother protects the younger and gives kisses. Those moments melt my heart.

Veronica and Ryan said...

Glad everything is going well. Two really is more fun than one. My rule is no one gets out of the cart at the store. That helps me a lot. Your kiddos are so adorable!

maugers said...

I'm so glad you love it :) It definitely slows down later. And I didn't ever grocery shop with an infant and Alex alone, but I imagine that would be REALLY trying... Ruby's adorable :) Oliver's looking good too :)