Friday, September 11, 2009

And now presenting Ruby June Peay . . .

Born: September 10, 2009 at 8:16 a.m.
Weight: 8 lbs 4 oz
Height: 20 1/2 inches

After what I am sure was some careful deliberation, Ruby decided that she did not want share a birthday with the 9/11 terrorist attacks and decided to come a day early. It was about 5:30 a.m., just as Sam was getting ready to leave for school, when I felt the first contraction. For a second I considered telling Sam not to go, but the contraction felt pretty much like all of the Braxton Hicks I had been having so I rolled over and went back to sleep instead. About 6:00 the contractions were too strong for me to stay in bed so I got up and started getting ready. A half hour later they hurt bad enough that I decided to call the hospital and get their opinion as to whether or not they thought the contractions might be real (I still didn't think they were). They suggested I come in so I called a friend to take Ollie and then headed toward the hospital. I had been trying to call Sam during this same time but he was in is car and had his phone on vibrate so he never answered. By now the contractions were practically unbearable. I will admit to doing a bit of yelling while I was in the car by myself. I never reached the point of profanity but I am certain that the people around me must have thought I was suffering from turrets. During the whole drive my only thought was, "I hope they give me an epidural even though I am probably only dialated to a two."

I finally got a hold of Sam and informed him that I was on my way to the hospital. He was just walking into class and had to turn around and jump in his car for the hour drive back home. When I got to the nurses station my first line was "can I please get an epidural." They didn't believe that I was really in labor and slowly walked me back to triage to check. To everyones surpise - including my own - I was dialated to a nine. They immediately wheeled my bed to a delivery room and began poking IV's into me. They managed to get me a spinal tap and just as it began to take effect my doctor told me it was time to push. I pushed with one contraction and out popped Ruby. She came face first, or what is called a face presentation, our doctor just referred to it as "sunny-side up". It means that instead of the crown of her head coming out first, her face was the first thing everyone saw. As a result she looked pretty bruised up, like she had just come off worse in a bad boxing match. But she was perfectly healthy. Sam arrived about 15 minutes after she made her debut. Poor guy.

Becuase of the rush - and the lack of a husband to hold the camera - we don't have any pictures of Ruby fresh from the oven, but here are some moments that we did manage to capture. We are home from the hospital now and are both doing great. We are so excited to have our little "junebug."






26 comments:

Ann said...

I gasped!! WHAT...No Husband!?!? Holy cow! YOu are amazing. That's when I would be yelling to almost profanities! Poor you and poor Sam for missing it. :( Good thing she is healthy though and doing good. She is beautiful and I love the name! COngrats!

Brittney said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe how fast she came. And you driving yourself to the hospital and having the baby all by yourself. Poor Sam, I'm sure he felt bad. That's good that you got at least a little bit of pain relief! Congratulations! She's beautiful!

Jacqui said...

WooHoo! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! What a fun birth story to be able to tell her when she's older--and to hang over Sam's head "Remember that time you missed our daughter's birth? Ya, you owe me..."

Congrats! Now go take a nap!

katina said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!

Mireille said...

That is such a crazy story, you are so tough, I would have been profaning all over myself! I'm so glad that she's here now, healthy and beautiful. Congratulations! And Sam owes you BIG TIME. What does Oliver think of the new addition?

Mary said...

She's beautiful! And I love the name too...

Stacey said...

Congrats! She is adorable and I love the name you guys picked out for her :)

Anna said...

Congratulations!!! I can't believe you drove yourself to the hospital and then had a baby all by yourself, crazy. She looks so cute and I love her name. What a fun time, I hope you are doing well--welcome to the sleepless night club :)

Megan said...

Yeah! So glad she's here. Adallyn has a special gift for little Ruby Girl. Can't wait to see her and get to know her too!

Megan said...

Congratulations! It's a bummer Sam missed it... but I'm glad everyone is happy and healthy!

Lindsey said...

She is absolutely adorable!! Congrats!! And Ruby June is a very happy name. That means she'll have to be a very happy baby. :)

maugers said...

Congratulations Super Woman! That is a story that will top almost all super woman stories I've heard :) Sorry that Sam missed it, for you and for him. Now with your next he'll be scared to leave your side for a second ;) I'm glad your home and doing well, give her a little kiss for me :)

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!!! I'm glad you got the spinal tap, D told me that you didn't get anything after he talked to your mom! Well she is so gorgeous! I'm glad that you both are doing great!

Jon and Diana said...

Happy healthy baby to you! I laughed as I read about your drive to the hospital. Wow, Ruby really meant business didn't she?! Congrats to you and the fam!

Veronica and Ryan said...

She is so beautiful! And Oliver is such a sweet big brother, I love that picture of him looking up with his big brother shirt on. You are awesome! I would have freaked out!

Nathan said...

Congratulations!! That is a fun read. We had our first three months ago, and wow what a life changer.

rhodesfamily said...

CONGRATS!! That's quite the delivery story! So exciting!

Michael & Nikki said...

You are a brave brave girl... Driving to the hospital all alone... I guess it was a good thing you did! Congrats she is beautiful. Can't wait for more pictures!

Whitney said...

Wahoo!!! A niece! XOXOXOXO

Julie said...

We are so thrilled she is here and that you made it to the hospital in time! We love the name Ruby June. Congratulations to all of you.

love, Julie & Wayne

Danielle Rappleye said...

She is so cute!! Little girls are so precious. Way to go, I cannot imagine not having my husband there. You are amazing!

Matthew and Lindsey said...

How exciting. Congrats. I love the way you told the story-it was if you do this kind of thing every day :)

Dynamic Chiropractic said...

Good work! Congrats! That is AWESOME story! I am so happy for you and your family.

Scott and Haley said...

Super woman= Super Mom! Congrats!!! She is soo cute. I am sure even with the kind of labor you had....being over due you wouldn't have wanted to have her a minute later. Poor Sam you can almost tell in the picture how he was feeling about missing it all. You are the woman!!!

The Busey Family said...

Janell...I can only hope that my next one goes like this. Congrats. She is beautiful. And all of that hair. Oh I am going to have to come and see her. That is too bad that Sam didn't make it. I cannot believe that it happened that fast. I hope you get feeling better soon! Love ya lots~

A Note from Kaleo and Megan said...

Congrats! I feel for Sam. Kaleo's biggest worry is missing the baby coming on our second. Well, that, and me trying to get to the hospital on my own. You're always such and example to me! What a trooper! She is adorable. Keep me posted on how Ollie handles sharing the limelight.