Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Backyard Makeover

In a brief moment of insanity we decided to put sod in our backyard/patio area. I took the initiative the next day of ripping out all of the plants and raking off all of the wood chips. Then we sat and stared at the mess for a couple of weeks wondering if we really wanted to do it. In the end we hauled out two trailers-full of gravel, brought it two more trailers-full of fill dirt, moved an entire retaining wall, built a new set of stairs, and finally laid sod. We are so happy with the results and I am kicking myself for not having taken a "before picture". We love to play on our little patch of grass and it makes me happy to look out the window and see green

Here is our work crew, we definitely would never have gotten all those boulders moved without the help of our awesome neighbors.

Who's the man! We have a rule at our house, I can tell Sam what I want done, or how to do it, but I cannot tell him both. In this case I said I wanted sod, he took care of all the rest and he did a beautiful job (much better than if he had listened to all of my suggestions, which obviously he didn't because I wasn't supposed to be making any;)
The front retaining wall in this picture used to be placed about three feet further back, we moved it to get the biggest patch of grass possible.
Of course, daddy had lots of helpers. I am surprised that he got anything done with Oliver's tractors always being in the way.

Ruby June didn't miss out on any of the fun either.

No comments: