Thursday, January 15, 2009

Purls are a girls best friend

I have recently been in search of a new creative outlet. Lets face it, some days building oddly shaped animals out of Duplo blocks and finding new ways to get Thomas the Train stuck underneath the couch just don't use up enough of my creative energy. I mentioned to my mom that I might enjoy some kind of craft project for a Christmas present. Her solution was a set of knitting needles and some yarn. I admit, the thought of knitting had never really crossed my mind but I figured I would give it a shot - seeing as she went to all the trouble and all.

Three weeks later, I just have to say I'm hooked. I believe I may have discovered the perfect mommy craft. Here's why:

1. It does not destroy my entire house, when I want to work on my knitting I get out my needles and yarn, that is it. No sewing machine, no paint, no sand paper, etc., etc.

2. Your mind does not have to be absolutely absorbed in what your hands are doing. I can knit, plan dinner and listen to a book on tape all at the same time. The multi-tasking possibilities are endless.

3. It is an easy stop and go craft, nothing is going to be hurt by my throwing down my knitting and chasing after Oliver as he scaled up the bookcase.

4. It is totally portable, easy to take along to the park or to play group.

5. It is a good stress reliever.

Best of all, I have discovered the joys of felting. If you are a beginner like me it is a great way to start out because absolutely none of your mistakes show up. Check out my first finished project:


Oliver is modeling the size of my tote bag while it is still on the needles.


Here it is after binding it off and shaping it into a tote bag. (The newspaper is for a size reference.)


And here is the bag after felting it, i.e. washing it the washing machine.


And here is the finished project after being shaped and dried. Pretty cool huh. After finishing I decided that I am really not a fan of the colors that I picked out. But I am pretty proud of the fact that it turned out looking like a bag. It is nice and stiff too and stands up all on its own. So, to all of you creatively deprived individuals out there, I have to say grab yourself a pair of needles and some yarn because purls really are a girls best friend!!

11 comments:

Jacqui said...

AWESOME! I've been thinking about knitting a lot lately--even asked a neighbor who knits to reteach me (I learned on my mission), but you TOTALLY inspire me.

Another reason I've been thinking about it is that I just read, " the Friday Night knitting club" and "Knit Two" the sequel by Kate JAcobs. You should listen to them while you knit:)

And what happened to our play date this week? Sheesh! MNaybe you can come over and teach me to knit :)

And I love that you used Ollie as a guage of how big your bag was:) I think it's super cute. Are you going to use it as a scripture bag or a purse?

Peay Family said...

I made it to fit my lesson manual for church. So, I guess it will be my church bag.

Michael & Nikki said...

Janell, I Love your tote!! I'm very impressed.. Very very cute!! Might have to pay you to make me one!! haha.

Ann said...

Wow. Sweet bag. Gotta say, I'm a little reluctant to try something like that as well but maybe I should. And I love the colors together! It's so cute. Good job! Oh and I had to say that I LOVE the pic of Ollie eating cereal! WAY TOO CUTE! Isn't it crazy how big they have gotten. So sad yet cool at the same time. He is so stinking cute. He's gonna be the one all the girls run after!

Seth and Emry Gubler said...

I always thought you were so crafty and cute.

Anna said...

Wow, when I heard knitting I did not think the end product would be so cute!!! I love it, you are way too creative and I like the colors too. What will you make next, the possiblities are endless :)

Stacey said...

Oh your bag turned out so cute! I never tried felting but this definitely makes me want to :)

Whitney said...

Tada! I am so pleased with how it turned out! You are a pretty kniffty knitter! I don't know why you don't like the colors, I think that they are awesome! I am glad that it is the right size and everything.

Lindsey said...

Very nifty! I love knitting, and crocheting, but I have never heard of that felting thing... I may have to try it now!! :)

maugers said...

Beautiful! Have you ever needle felted? It's a way to put felted embellishments on your work after you've knitted...it's very easy and forgiving. Looks great!

Danielle Rappleye said...

Wow, I am so impressed. That looks so cute, way to go! So I missed you while you were here in Utah. Hope you had fun visiting all of your family. Maybe next time we can arrange something so we can get together.