Monday, August 10, 2009

The Festivities

We decided to go ahead and celebrate Oliver's birthday while we were in Salt Lake for a short trip last week. We had all his favorite foods: pizza, watermelon and mandarin oranges.
His cake was in the shape of a train and he made us light the candle a couple of times because he thought it was so fun to blow out.
He also made sure his new toy train got a good taste of cake as well (don't worry there was other dessert, I made this cake simply to have a candle for him to blow out).
I had been talking to Oliver all week about his birthday - the concept wasn't really sinking in - but he did get very excited every time I mentioned balloons. So, Sam made sure we had plenty of balloons and Oliver let them go one and a time. I knew the birthday was a success after he woke up the next morning and rehearsed everything to me from the "choo choo cake" to the "flying balloons"

On his real birthday I went in to get him out of bed and when I wished him a happy birthday he immediately asked for cake, so I guess the whole birthday concept sank in eventually. Unfortunately there was no cake. Because we had celebrated a week early, we didn't plan to do much other than give him our present on his birthday. It wasn't a problem though, as soon as he got a look at his new train table (thank you craigslist) all else was forgotten. He played trains from the moment he woke up from his nap until it was time to go to bed again and this morning when I took him out of his crib, instead of the usual snuggles and kisses he wriggled right out of my arms and ran to the train table. We wanted to have something that would entertain him while I am taking care of the new baby, I just hope he doesn't get sick of it before then!

3 comments:

A Note from Kaleo and Megan said...

Happy Birthday Ollie! We miss you guys and hope you are doing good. Good luck with the baby as she approaches. I hope all goes well.

The Busey Family said...

Oh cute birthday party. Happy Birthday Oliver. He is so cute. What a fun party!

Jacqui said...

You guys take lots of trips back to UT. How lucky! Happy Birthday, little buddy!